Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Preserved Lemons

Yesterday our household took another step toward normality when I (finally) got around to making some preserved lemons. Preserved lemons have been a nearly permanent fixture here since I first discovered them about 10 years ago. Frustratingly, they need to sit for a month to do their thing, so it's another lesson in patience. But it's definitely worth it!

My method is based on Stephanie's from The Cook's Companion, but I tend to opt for the lemon and salt only, mainly because I'm lazy. Stephanie adds bits of bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves to hers which are delicious, but these are pretty good, too!

Preserved Lemons

1kg lemons, scrubbed and quartered longways
250g salt

Add 1 tbsp salt to the bottom of a sterilised 1L jar (or 2 smaller ones). Place the lemons and the rest of the salt in a large bowl. Massage the salt into the fleshy part of the lemons, extracting most of the juice. Pack the lemon quarters into the jar with the skin side out, as tightly as you can. Cover with as much of the remaining juice and salt as possible then put the lid on. Wipe any salty juice off the outside of the jar and leave in a cool spot (not the fridge) for at least one month before using.

And on an unrelated note, apparently green crayons taste delicious....?

6 comments:

Ange Moore said...

My 18 month old son is not fussy about the colour of the crayons he devours!!

Cathie said...

who wants preserverd lemons when crayons taste so good!
:)

Pippi creates said...

Mmm, I'm still waiting on my lemons to ripen so I can make some of these. We haven't had any crayon eating episodes yet, only throw them on the floor and stand on them activity - not good either!

Steph said...

They look so good! I should make some with my surplus lemons. And crayons...that waxy taste...yum...well that's what my little one thinks anyway :)

Unknown said...

yum! so simple- I must give it a try! xo m.

Fiona said...

What do you then use the preserved lemons for? Can you use them in any receipe that calls for lemon?