Friday, May 28, 2010

Spanish-ish eggs

When we first moved to Melbourne over 6 years ago, we discovered a cafe on Brunswick St, Fitzroy, called Bakers. Bakers was (yes, was. Sniff. It's now a Thai place, which I'm sure is quite good, but it's not Bakers. Anyway...) Bakers was a claypot and tapas place, with lots of big, bold flavours that I love. But the star of the menu (according to me) was a brekky claypot that involved a fried egg on top of tomatoey chorizo yumminess all drizzled with garlic aioli. (Sigh. No way to fix that craving properly these days...)

Anyway, while attempting to recreate such a dish for breakfast is well and truly beyond me (not a morning person), dinner inspired by it was worth a try. And it was yummy. Different, but still yummy. So I thought I should write it down before I forget what I did!

A couple of notes. I like to boost the chorizo flavour in things like this with smokey paprika, but you could use regular paprika if you needed to. Also, I love roasted potato bits and look for any excuse to use them. I think roasting them adds another dimension to this dish, but you could steam them if you really needed to!
Spanish-ish Eggs

2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into rough cubes
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, finely sliced
1 Chorizo, diced
1 red capsicum, cut into large dice
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp smokey paprika
a generous strip of orange peel, pith removed
1 400g tin tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp chopped corriander, plus extra to serve
4 (or more) eggs

Preheat oven to 190ÂșC. Toss potatoes with 1 tbsp oil and a little salt & pepper. Roast in the oven for 20-25mins, until nicely cooked.

Meanwhile, in a large deep frypan with a lid, cook onion, celery and chorizo for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add capsicum, cook for a further 3 mins then add garlic and paprika and cook for another couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and stock and orange peel, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Check seasoning, then stir through roasted potatoes and corriander.

Make 4 indents in the mixture and crack the eggs into them. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs are done to your liking (this took about 10-12 minutes for me, but I need my eggs properly cooked at the moment). Sprinkle with extra corriander and serve with tortillas if you like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum yum yum. i am cooking bacon mushrooms and eggs in the oven just like that, right now! such a great way to cook.

Unknown said...

Just linked this to my menu plan this week- will be feasting tomorrow... vegetarian style of course. LOL. xo m.

Vic said...

mmm, this looks so yummy! I'll have to give it a try!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

You'll have to take yourself out to Birdman Eating (Gertrude St, near the corner of Smith). They have a daily changing menu of baked eggs. At least 3 different types each day.