Sunday, February 20, 2011

Date and Apricot Loaf

Several years ago, I asked my mother-in-law for her Date Loaf recipe, because my husband had told me several times how much he loved it. As it was possibly the easiest recipe ever, it's become part of the repertoire! And it's a perfect baking option for those mornings when you desperately need to amuse a two-year-old who has the attention span of, well, a two year old.
Until you realise you don't have enough dates in the cupboard. Thankfully my problem-solving brain is beginning to show some signs of life (finally), so I added apricots to make up the difference. I think the addition was rather nice, though I'm not sure that the purist (husband) thought it was quite as good as the original!

Date and Apricot Loaf

1/2 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped (or just use a whole cup of dates if you're a purist)
1 cup sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp bicarb soda
60g butter
1 egg, beaten
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice

Preheat oven to 180ÂșC.

Stir together fruit, sugar, water, soda and butter. When cooled slightly, add egg, flour and spices. Pour mixture into a greased and lined loaf tin, and bake for about 45 mins, until a skewer poked in the middle comes out clean. Serve sliced and buttered if you like, but it's yummy just as is, too.


3 comments:

Tania said...

Excellent. Already on the baking menu for Wednesday. Thanks Mrs!

Leonie said...

Wonderful. Always on the lookout for a new recipe to try out on the kids :-)

Vic said...

wow, so easy! I love a fruit loaf so will definitely be giving this one a go! Thanks! Vic xx