Friday, October 2, 2009

Polenta with mushrooms and goats cheese

Tinniegirl's topic for Blogtoberfest today is 'These are a few of your favourite things'. So it's fitting for me to post a recipe. I like food. A lot. And I like recipe books. A LOT! Cooking is something I really enjoy, and I find it a good way of taking time out, especially if there's other people around to help me enjoy the end product.

Before my little one was born, my husband and I used to share cooking duties fairly evenly, but since she was about three months old I've been doing the vast majority. By request!! At the end of a full day of parenting, I get to cook while he does the evening parenting stuff. I think we're both happy with that!

A couple of nights ago, I did an experiment involving mushrooms and polenta, and we both declared it a success! So here's the recipe...

Apologies for the night-time photo!

Polenta with Mushrooms and Goats cheese
Serves 2-3

3 large pieces dried porcini mushroom
3 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced (I used a combination of field & swiss brown, flats and buttons)
1 tbsp each olive oil & butter
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
Salt & pepper
150g goats cheese (at least 50g per person - I like LOTS)

1 cup chicken stock
1 cup polenta
3/4 cup grated parmesan
50g butter

Soak the porcini mushrooms in about 1/2 cup boiling water for at least 10 mins. Chop rehydrated porcini mushrooms finely and reserve soaking water.

Add 2 cups water to the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add polenta slowly and whisk until the liquid comes back to the boil. Keep whisking often while cooking to get rid of lumps and stop it sticking. Once cooked (about 15 mins, depending on the type of polenta you use), remove from heat & stir in cheese and butter, and season.

Meanwhile....

Heat butter & oil together in a large frypan that has a lid. Add garlic & porcini mushrooms and fry gently until garlic is translucent. Add mixed mushrooms and cook, stirring, until most of them change texture (about 5 mins). Add the thyme and reserved porcini water, stir and simmer, covered for 3-5 mins. Remove lid, season and allow to continue to cook until most of the liquid has evaporated (about 2 mins).

To serve, spoon polenta into flat bowls, top with mushrooms and scatter with crumbled goats cheese. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Gina said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
Do you know I've never cooked with Porchini mushrooms?
I hope I can foist this one on the man of the house.

Angie said...

I'm definitely going to book mark this one, especially as our evening meals are now gluten free (thanks to the bloke, not me!)

Anything with goats cheese is a winner in my books, thanks for sharing.