Monday, July 19, 2010

A chocolate croissant pudding and a meal plan

Last week, we did some experimenting with the idea of a chocolaty, croissanty, custardy pudding. And we came up with this.
Sliced croissants sprinkled with Grand Marnier and smothered in a rich chocolate custard. Made by my husband, who I think is particularly tolerant of me making statements like "You could try this...", and "What about this..." halfway through making it! So that you can enjoy it yourself, here's the recipe.

Chocolate Croissant Pudding
(Serves 4-6)

3-4 croissants, sliced into 1cm slices
1-2 tbsp Grand Marnier or other liqueur of your choice
200g dark chocolate
500ml milk
3 eggs, whisked
1 tsp vanilla

Lightly grease a baking dish that will fit your croissant slices nicely. Layer the croissants on a slight angle in the dish, and sprinkle with Grand Marnier.

Melt the chocolate (we use the microwave), and add the milk bit by bit, very gradually to start with, until you have some serious chocolate milk. Mix in the eggs and vanilla, and pour over croissants ensuring that there's no chocolate-free bits of croissant sticking up. Leave to stand for 15 minutes, then bake in a moderate (180ÂșC) oven for 40-45 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving, and enjoy!


Now onto other matters. The meal plan for last week again had a serious success (all because of Stephanie Alexander), and a hiccup, because I had a stubborn moment and refused to spend my 'me time' trekking to the fish shop and chose to craft instead (hello fish & chip shop).

This coming week presents a few challenges, namely a couple of single parenting days, a dessert that meets the requirements of the low FODMAP diet (fructose & lactose malabsorption friendly), and a couple of busy days for me which will probably mean T cooking! I just hope he's happy to cook the things I've planned...
Monday: Tomato pasta
Tuesday: Chocolate & almond cake with raspberries and soy ice cream* (The Cook's Companion, p. 227)
Wednesday: Tuna mornay (my version)
Thursday: Sweet potato and broccolini galette (MasterChef #3, p. 40)
Friday: Beef curry (from freezer)
Saturday: Sausages with roast veges & mash
Sunday: Chicken kebabs with vege cous cous (MasterChef #3, p. 70)

*If anyone has any wisdom to impart on the world of soy ice cream, it would be much appreciated! I know there's some decent stuff out there (I've enjoyed it myself!), but I can't remember which one it was. Help?

4 comments:

Sally said...

That looks SO yummy!!!

Vic said...

That looks sooooooo good!!!!

Gina said...

Wow your menu sounds fabulous. Of course all I can think about is chocolate croissanty goodness.... Mmmmm!

Maleny Mumma said...

I like your meal plan. I will have to look that recipe up in my Cooks Companion. I like So Good Chocolate Ice-cream. The vanilla flavour is not too bad as well.