Monday, January 18, 2010

String bags

I've been crocheting string bags. It's one of those situations that you might be familiar with, when you discover a pattern that's relatively simple and quick and all of a sudden you've made multiples? This rarely happens to me, because I tend to do one thing, learn lots about how I could do it better and move on to the next thing. It's possibly because I have a short attention span, but I like to think it's because I like to try new things...?

But these string bags? They're really very simple and they also look great, so I decided they'd be great presents. They're hooked using linen yarn, which has a beautiful sheen and is really strong, so they wear really well. And if you wash them, the yarn just gets softer and softer! AND, they screw up into a nice small bundle, so you can carry them around in your handbag so you never have to use a plastic bag again! Like I said, they're great.
My mother's Christmas present was finished on Christmas night, so in typical fashion for our family, she received it with the crochet hook still attached. Oops. At least it was finished before she went home! This one is in the Sea grass colourway.
This one was started and finished while we were away after Christmas, and is officially my first finished project for 2010! This used the French Blue colourway that my sister brought back from New York for me to make her a string bag. Done.

So that's 3* string bags so far. I have one more skein of linen still to be wound, but once that's morphed into a string bag of it's own, that might be the last for a little while at least. Or until I next 'need' to order from Purl....

*My first string bag here.

Edited to add: The super-easy pattern can be found here.

6 comments:

Liesl said...

Oooh very nice - I especially like the pretty blue. I wish my crochet was quite up to doing something like this ... they are fabulous.

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

That's great work!! They look so good filled with groceries or beach goodies, love Posie

M* (Melanie) said...

Oh wow awesome! I've been making a string bag too!! I've been using solomon's knot. It looks like you've been using a chain stitch?? Is that right? They look fantastic.

Kate said...

These look so great! I love the blue one so much. I have a pattern for one of these I've been meaning to try. You have just inspired me to put it on the to-do list. XX

yardage girl said...

Hmmm - very clever - too tricky for me at the moment, but something to aspire to! Nic

Anonymous said...

I LOVE these! I'm so doing this!