Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pancetta and white bean pasta

Interestingly, when I'm stuck for something to post, I resort to food. Maybe I'm obsessed?

This recipe came from my sister a few years ago, who I think got it from Donna Hay. I have no idea how closely this resembles the original, but it's really, really yummy! When I cooked it the other night, I included a (very small) handful of peas, because we had some in the garden. It was good enough to possibly become a long term modification!

Pancetta and White Bean Pasta
(serves 2 - 3, but can easily be doubled)

200g pasta (we use hats* (orecchiette) or shells)
1 tbsp olive oil
100g pancetta, diced
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp chopped fresh chilli, or to taste
1 400g tin cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
a handful of fresh or frozen peas
salt, pepper & good olive oil
parmesan cheese, to serve

Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water for the time suggested on the packet. The sauce takes less than 5 mins so get the pasta cooking while your preparing the other ingredients!

In a large frypan, fry pancetta in olive oil over medium heat for a minute or so. Add garlic, rosemary, zest, & chilli and cook until fragrant (about a minute). Add beans and peas (if using) and cook, stirring until beans are heated through. Add lemon juice, season and remove from heat. Add cooked pasta to pan with a couple of glugs of good olive oil and stir to combine.

Serve sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

*Note: apparently orecchiette are so named because they resemble little ears. I think they look much more like little tin hats, so that's what I call them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhh delicious I was inspired by this and made something really similar the other day... thanx for the inspiration.