Sunday, November 14, 2010

Experimenting...

Yesterday I made my first-ever batch of soap. I used Jodie's basic recipe which is very user-friendly for the soap-making-novice! I added fresh lavender from the garden and geranium essential oil as my flavourings, and it smells lovely, even though I was a little light handed with the essential oil.

The fresh lavender might have been a mistake, but I don't have any dried lavender (maybe I should dry my own?? Any tips?). We'll see if the fresh stuff works OK, I guess! The geranium oil (one of my preferred scents) would have been lavender oil if mine had had any scent left, but it's a little bit old. I might have had it since before I was married, which was 12 and a half years ago... Ahem.

I can see lots of soapy Christmas presents being given out this year!! Thanks Jodie.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

YOur soap looks fantastic. To dry the lavendar, I just pick a bunch and stick the 'heads' in a brown paper bag and the stalks hanging out, tie string around it and hang it somewhere dry and airy till it's 'crunchy'- others may do it differently. I do the paper bag so the flowers don't fade.

Leonie said...

I've been wanting to do that for so long, thanks for the link, now I have no excuse!
Your soap looks wonderful :-)

Jelly Wares said...

Great job on the soap!!! It looks awesome!!!

Hugs - Jodie :)