As hoped, I finished my pincushion last night.
I followed this tutorial. It would have turned out even better if I had used a a doll (long) needle to sew the buttons on as suggested. The buttons are fine as is, but I would have had more control over their placement had I used a longer needle. Oh well, next time.
This would be a great scrap project if you sewed enough to have scraps. I'm working on it, but because my scrap pile is currently too small to be useful, I used a few squares from a charm pack.
I think I like this hand-sewing paper-piecing business. It's quite pleasant to spend a few evenings working on a project that comes together quickly for a slow crafter like me! I'm not sure I'd take on a hex quilt at this stage, but little things are fun.