After spending my 'me time' on Saturday morning cleaning up my sewing table and writing a list of some (not all - too scary) of the projects I have in my head at the moment, I spent some time in the afternoon making serviettes (which was on the list. Very useful, writing a list!). My daughter had an uncharacteristically long afternoon sleep which meant I started and finished all in one go! It really is a miracle.
The grass is looking rather brown, even on the patch I chose because it was greener! We need rain...
My not-square serviettes were made from rather large Ikea linen/cotton blend tea towels cut in half and hemmed along the cut side. It was really very easy as most of the hemming was already done.
I applied my recent discovery that hemming is easier if you iron a little fold (5mm ish) and then fold (1cm ish) and iron again, and THEN pin. Once I'd made 2, I started a production line and made 8 all together in comfortably less than 2 hours - that's fast for me!
So we now have 8 extra serviettes to give to guests (and ourselves) rather than squares of paper towel. That's got to be an improvement.
PS. I got this idea from somewhere in blogland a while ago, but have absolutely no memory of where. Apologies for not linking back to the very clever person who actually came up with this idea first!